Mike Portnoy hat Dream Theater verlassen!

• Ich hätte nie gedacht, dass das mal passiert. Ich bin sehr verwundert und traurig darüber.....
    Mehr News gibts, sobald ich was gefunden habe..

"Mike Portnoy This is a sad, sad day....I'm afraid I have some bad news....
    MP/DT Sept 1985 - Sept 2010
    vor 6 Minuten · Kommentieren · Gefällt mirGefällt mir nicht mehr"

Hier das offizielle Statement aus Mikes Homepage:
    Wednesday September 8th 2010

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
    Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
    MP

"Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here...
    But please never let your memory of me disappear...."
    --- The Spirit Carries On

Die Wahrheit gleicht einem nassen Handtuch. Dir selbst nützt sie nichts, aber du kannst sie jemand anderem um den Kopf schlagen.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kissan ()

• schade, dream theater mit portnoy gefiel mir wirklich gut...;
    aber transatlantic, yellow matter custard, hammer of the gods, amazing journey ... lässt auf besseres hoffen.

...und vielleicht springt ja sogar mal donati bei DT ein :D

• Moin!

Breaking news, indeed! Wirklich spannend finde ich, wer MP bei Deam Theater nun ersetzen soll. Wer ist so bekloppt, sich mit MP vergleichen zu lassen? Sein Spiel ist so ... na sagen wir mal "einzigartig". Niemand sonst kann doch einen Song dermaßen zusammendreschen, dass es hinterher auch noch virtuos klingt, oder? Wer meint Ihr, würde es wagen, sich bei DT hinter die Schießbude zu setzen? Das wäre jetzt mal eine Castingshow, die ich mir wirlich antun würde.

Liebe Grüße
    vom Ide

• Schade, aber kein Weltuntergang.
    Ersetzen ist nie wirklich möglich, wenn man ewig in einer Band war.
    Ich war damals bei Thomen seghr traurig, als er Blind Guardian verlassen hat...er is einfach n cooler Typ...selbst wenn der neue Drummer vielleicht sogar versierter ist...er ist nicht Thomen der ewig dabei war...schaun wa ma wies weiter geht und harren der Dinge die da kommen.

Mein Name ist Ment, Rudi Ment!

• Das klingt ganz übel nach Burn-out, bzw. zieht er vorher die Notbremse.
    Besser so als...

Hans

"Wenn es eine Schwelle gäbe, die ausdrückt ob man Jazz mag oder nicht, und die Schwelle ist sagen wir mal bei 6%, dann müsste ich sagen, ich mag keinen Jazz. Eigentlich bin ich mir sicher, es gibt nichts schlimmeres als Jazz, zumindest schlecht gespielter. Ich glaube nur 4% vom Jazz sind wirklich gut, aber diese 4% sind so gut das kann ich nicht in Worten ausdrücken." - Benny Greb, auf den Sonor Days 2010

• Band ist auch immer ein wenig wie eine Beziehung.
    Wenn einer dann mit Worten und Taten den Eindruck vermittelt, dass ihm andere Beziehungen/Bands wichtiger sind als diese eine, dann kann ich beide Seiten verstehen, wenn sie die Beziehung/Band beenden wollen. Irgendwann ist eben auch einfach mal Schluss.

Ich finds trotzdem schade.

• mit denen er seit 25Jahren muckt

... sind da noch so viele übrig? MW hat's ja einiges an Umbesetzungen gegeben. Und nun ist der Nächste weg, that's life ...

• Moin!

Breaking news, indeed! Wirklich spannend finde ich, wer MP bei Deam Theater nun ersetzen soll. Wer ist so bekloppt, sich mit MP vergleichen zu lassen? Sein Spiel ist so ... na sagen wir mal "einzigartig". Niemand sonst kann doch einen Song dermaßen zusammendreschen, dass es hinterher auch noch virtuos klingt, oder? Wer meint Ihr, würde es wagen, sich bei DT hinter die Schießbude zu setzen? Das wäre jetzt mal eine Castingshow, die ich mir wirlich antun würde.

Liebe Grüße
    vom Ide

also ich wüsste da jmd ausm forum :whistling:

Topic:
    Ich habe NIE Dream Theater gehört, aber trotzdem ist es sehr schade zu hören, da er wirklich lange dabei war.

• Das hätte ich auch nicht gedacht.

Schließlich war der Herr mit dem riesen Ego sowas wie der Motor der Band.

mal gespannt was da jetzt kommen soll, aber ob es die richtige Entscheidung war keine Pause zu machen, sondern ohne MP weiter zu machen?

Wir werden sehen, die besten Zeiten sind eh vorüber und die letzte Tour habe ich mir schon nicht mehr angeschaut.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!