Zitate Sammlung bekannter Schlagzeugerinnen und Schlagzeuger

• "There's nothing wrong with personal development through playing an instrument, but what happens when it's treated as a sport? There is no scoreboard. [...] If you want razzle-dazzle...if you want to beat somebody up, be a boxer. All this time I thought drumming was art."
    Vinnie Colaiuta

"I found that to really make money, you had to give up music. So I gave up money."
    Mel Lewis

"All you have to do is be able to feel."
    Art Blakey

"That's what the drummer is supposed to do. Keep the time. If you can do something else besides that, fine. But the time is essential and non-negotiable."
    Elvon Jones

"You must own it to play it."
    Roy Haynes

"The drum is the heart of music. The saxophone can play and then rest, as can all of them except the drums; the drummer keeps going - he can't afford to stop."
    Papa Jo Jones

"I'll never play a drum solo you can't dance to."
    Gene Krupa

"You don't have to show off" - Peter Erskine

• "Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste."
    "If you think you stink, you probably do."
    Buddy Rich

"I'm not a singer who plays a bit of drums. I'm a drummer that sings a bit."
    Phil Collins

"First and foremost I am a drummer. After that, I'm other things... But I didn't play drums to make money."
    Ringo Starr

"To be a drummer you also have to be a musician."
    Ian Paice

• "Do you know why they call a drummer's seat a throne? Because drummers are kings and queens."
    Ed Thigpen

"I'm still the best Keith Moon-style drummer in the world."
    Keith Moon

"The drums have hogged a lot of the credit. We're as much - or more - cymbal players, as we are drummers."
    Peter Erskine

"Drummers shouldn't just think of themselves as drummers. If you're going to be a musician, you should expand your horizons, compose things, and work with other instruments."
    Stewart Copeland

"Drummers get bored. You tell them to play something simple, and it gets more complicated as they do it. If they're not a composer, if they don't have any kind of investment in the music, they'll just add a bit there and another bit there, and you think no! Don't do that. So you end up using a drum machine."
    Phil Collins

"I don't have perfect pitch. My drums sound like a drummer, not a drum machine."
    Taylor Hawkins

"I think that the rhythm sections, drummers in particular, are the unsuing heroes of the music. It's the rhythm section that has changed the styles from one period to the other."
    Max Roach

...ufff... ich hoffe, es sind keine Doppelungen dabei.

• "Do you know why they call a drummer's seat a throne? Because drummers are kings and queens."

Ed Thigpen

Drama.... ääähhh... Drummer Queen :D :D

Lieber brennende Herzen, als erloschene Träume! <3 xxxx Love life, and live! - It's worth it.

“You are never too old to set another goal, or to dream a new dream.” ― C.S. Lewis

Don‘t waste your time or time will waste you. (Muse - Knights of Cydonia)

• "You go to a drum clinic and people watch you play. They come up to you and want to know how you did this and that. What they don't realize is that what you're doing is because of the context of the music, your imagination and your creativity, not because you're physically doing this or that."
    Vinnie Colaiuta

"Some people want you to do [in studio] nothing but what is written. Some people want you to do everything on your own. And you'll get everything in between. The musicians who have had the experience, who have been fortunate enough to have gotten into it slowly and then got busy, busy, busy, where they have finally done everything, are the musicians the contractors call because they know they don't have to wait. They know you're reliable, you're going to be on time, you're going to be sober, and you are prepared for anything."
    Hal Blaine

"I did a date with Jimmy Bowen, "Fever". I had never worked with Jim, but I had made the original record of "Fever", and it said on my part, "play like Shelly Manne". So I played it just like I played it originally. The guy came out and said I wasn't doing it right. When I told him I was Shelly Manne, he turned around and went back in the booth."

"It used to be that the engineers, the microphones and everything in the studio were there to serve the music and the musician. It's turned totally around now. The musician, especially the drummer, is supposed to be servicing the engineer, and that's bullshit. If you get a certain sound on your instrument, you get your own sound. They're trying to make you sound like somebody else who they particularly dig and who is particularly easy to record. You can't be concerned with that. They lock you in a closet. I heard some records the other day recorded years ago, and I'm not trying to say "Give me the good old days", because I like a lot of the music I hear now, but they used three mic's hanging up on the ceiling and the orchestra sounded great. In the orchestras nowadays, there are 12 mic's on the drums alone."
    Shelly Manne

"You shouldn't get bugged with the engineers. You should just be happy that you were hired."
    Steve Gadd

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Moe Jorello ()

• "It's not a compliment when somebody says, "Man, you play just like Buddy Rich." It's a compliment technically, probably, but not entirely."
    Shelly Manne

"Each of us likes the other's playing more than our own.
    Rick Marotta

"I’ve done a drum clinic in L.A. Nice kids but they all asked the same question. "How did you work out that fill?" I told them, "I don’t know." I don’t know! I feel it, it’s that particular day, who knows? Just play. Let your personality come out."
    Manu Katché

"Oftentimes you are called upon to do things and you say, "Oh my God. I could never do that." But somehow you do it and that gives you a little more confidence for the next time you get into that situation."
    Hal Blaine

"I try to copy every drummer I know. I take everything I see. Certain people you can't copy."
    Jim Keltner

• "I told people I was a drummer even before I had a drumset. I was a mental drummer."
    Keith Moon

"It happens to us quite often-it feels as though I'm not playing my instrument, something else is playing it and that same thing is playing all three of our instruments. That's what I mean when I say it's frightening sometimes. Maybe we'll all play the same phrase out of nowhere. It happens very often with us."
    Ginger Baker (ob er bei diesen Erlebnissen wohl wieder zugedröhnt war?... vermutlich)

"To me, the most important tool is not a physical or a technical one. It's more of a cerebral one. It's your brain. It's about having an interest in experimenting musically, perhaps touching on several different genres of music. No doubt, the most important tool is the mind. It's the willingness to experiment freely."
    Mike Portnoy

• "It's the quarternotes that drive swing. But all of them have a different feel and that's where the human element comes in: You can tell a drummer by their ridecymbal-pattern. Don't get stuck on the feeling that you have to swing a certain way. Everyone has their own feel to swing and intereprete it in their way".
    Steven Taylor

• Als Keith Moon mal in seinem Hotelzimmer richtig laut das neueset Who Album hörte, kam der Hotelmanager und beschwerte sich über den "Krach".

Moon zündete daraufhin eine Ladung Sprengstoff.

Moon zum Manager:
    "Das war Krach....und das vorher,... das war The Who." :whistling:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

*es muss clippen!
    *wer einschlafe mit popo die kratz, der aufwache mit finger die stink...!

Death Metal: Souldevourer
    Acoustic Covers with Flair: Ruppert Spielt

• Anders Johansson backstage als der Drumtech vorbeischaut und ihm wenige Minuten vor Gig in gut gefüllter Langener Stadthalle verkündet:
    Drumtech/roadie: "I can not fix the broken pedal."

Anders (lapidar): "It doesn't matter to me".

Den Abend hat er mit zerbröseltem Kugellager bzw. beim Rückprall stets steckenbleibenden! Beater der Fußmaschine trotzdem fulminant gut getrommelt. :thumbup:

• Kein Zitat in dem Sinne, aber eigentlich zu gut, um´s nicht zu bringen. Aus einem aktuellen Interview mit Quincy Jones:

"Das war doch ganz gut!"
    Ringo Starr beim Abhören einer Aufnahme im Regieraum. Nachdem man ihn bat, mal kurz spazieren zu gehen und bevor man ihm eröffnete: "Da spielst ja auch nicht Du!" :)

"The first rule of drumming: If you make a mistake, turn around and look angrily at the bass player" - Nick Mason

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von DoctorCajon ()

• "A lot of people have issues speeding up and slowing down. If you play with a metronome, you can sort that out. But bands that play with click tracks live never develop that dangerous element [of groove]. ... There can be little fluctuations, but that is what it is all about. Your heart doesn't beat the same every day. Music should flow. Nobody wants everything to be sterile and sound like a click track. Sometimes there is too much emphasis put on perfection."

"A lot of young drummers have a tendency to really overplay. Sometimes simple is better, and the notes that aren't played between the spaces are bigger than the notes that are. You've got to be really tasty. It's all about the groove of the song. I like a drummer to shine when it's their turn to shine. But most of the time it's about the singer and the melody... and we're carrying the whole thing along."

Vinnie Paul

• "I've always just looked at drums as more of a group instrument. I've never been very interested in playing drums by myself - you know, sitting down in a basement, practicing drum solos for hours at a time."

"To me, it's always about the song and the band first."The drums, or the guitars, or whatever else is going on, is just part of the big picture, so what you always have to do is you have to check your ego at the door and do what's best for the song, for the music, for the overall sound."

Lars Ulrich

• "For me, my most fulfilling musical situations have been rooted in fun."

Mark Giuliana

"It’s like Mario Andretti said about driving a Ferrari, if everything is under control, then you’re just not going fast enough."

Gavin Harrison

• "What is the purpose of a drummer making a record? To get it successful. The purpose of a drummer is to get the song on the radio, becoming number one. It's not about my ego. What's good for the song? If the song becomes number one, I get called back for another one. Serve the song. It ain't about me. In the end, it points at me but it ain't about me."

"If you want advice, ask me and do the opposite."

Kenny Aronoff

• "Eric Clapton said, he wanted to burn his guitar when he heard Jimi Hendrix play. I never understood that because, when I went and saw a great drummer or heard one, all I wanted to do was practice."

Neil Peart

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!