Für Vinnie-Freaks....

• Zitat

Man möge beachten, dass der Loop (Handclaps etc) die ganze Zeit gnadenlos durch-arrangiert ist.

Ja, und offensichtlich richtig laut auf Vinnies Monitor (womit ich allerdings nicht im geringsten die Unfassbarkeit seines Trommelns in Frage stellen will)
    Dazu kann ich nur noch ein kleines Anekdötchen von der legendären Clinic Ende der 80iger mit Bertram Engel in Saarbrücken zum Besten geben.
    Das spielte Herr C. auch zu Playbacks vom AdAT/DAT o.ä. und bei einem track setzte das Playback für x Takte komplett aus, in denen er wieder irgendwelchen Kram spielte, den ausser ihm keiner mehr verstehet, und aus dem Nichts setzte das Playback wieder ein und er nagelte ohne geringstes Wackeln den Beat dazu. Keine Ahnung, wie er das geschafft hat in diesem Part so in Time zu bleiben.
    Da war kein Click, kein In-Ear (gab es damals so ja auch noch gar nicht). 8)

• Die Kollegen von House-of-drumming lieferten dieses Kleinod über des Heilandes unglaubliche Time:

I recorded him last year for the Jeff Lorber album that is nominated for a Grammy this year.

Being a drummer myself, Vinnie is my favorite. Here's a couple things I noticed about him while recording him.

The click is VERY low in his headphone mix. He kept asking me to turn it down, and down and down... so I put headphones on to hear what he was hearing. He had it tucked in the mix so you pretty much couldn't hear it while everyone was playing.

He is literally an atomic clock. I started looking at how close to the "grid" he was in protools. At 96KHz he was roughly at most +/-50 SAMPLES from the grid line, and most of the time he was even closer than 50. That's 50 96-thousandths of a second!

Between takes he would noodle... He was doing advanced drum rudiments, stuff like Pata-fla-flas, Shirley Murphys, Ratamacues, etc WITH HIS FEET (on his double pedal) faster than I can do them with my hands! And this was no big deal for him, he wasn't even straining to do it.

And with all this techinque and skill, the thing that impressed me most about him was his musicianship. One of the songs we were recording had a very basic and repetitive drum groove. And man, he laid it down with such focus, every single bar was just as perfect as the last. And he purposefully left out a lot of fills and whatnot to make it feel more "sampled" like a loop. He always plays to the song, and even though he has these incredible chops, he knows when NOT to use them as much as he knows when to use them... which to me is the most important part of any musician.

What makes Vinnie the best in my book is that he, while being phenomenally proficient, he can also be completely transparent. You'd never know it was him on some of the tracks unless you read the credits. For being the best drummer in the world, he is humble and doesn't have any ego and comes in to make the song sound the way the producer wants it to sound and nothing else. He's not trying to put "vinnie-isms" into everything he does.

Seriously, if it were up to me, I would hire him for every session I record.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board…e-share-your-history.html

@prosoccer: Wir alle in diesem Thread wissen, dass Mike Portnoy UND Joey Jordison die besten Drummer der Welt sind, also bitte zügel dich etwas!

• Mann, wie man so tight einen Song durchspielen kann... DAS ist wirklich ein langer Weg..

(19:45:39) _kaotical_: ich wollte schon immermal in irgendwessen signatur
    (01:13:44) seppel: unglücklich sein hat eine ganz besondere qualität. hält länger an als glücklich sein. das muss man auch mal positiv sehen.
    (21:32:33) Drummingguitaris: gube, hast du brüste? wenn ja, hoffe ich dass du ein mann bist

• das fand ich gerade sehr interessant! Ist hoffentlich noch nicht gepostet worden.

Steve Vai on Vinnie Colaiuta:

"I was just enamored with Vinnie. Back in the Frank days, his whole approach, when I heard Vinnie play, his phrasing - it satisfied something in my heart. It was easy to get certain rhythmic gratification from straight up-and-down-type players. Playing grooves, alternate grooves here and there. But Vinnie just came in and threw a wrench into the works. The guy is an alien. He was able to touch buttons with his sense of polyrhythms that no one has ever done. Frank's band was the perfect soundboard for that. I started transcribing his playing for The Frank Zappa Book. I mean, there's five to six different notations for the hi-hat!" [laughs]
    "I'll tell you a really great Vinnie story. He's one of the most amazing sight-readers that ever existed on the instrument. One day we were in a Frank rehearsal, this was early '80s, and Frank brought in this piece of music called "Mo 'N Herb's Vacation." Just unbelievably complex. All the drums were written out, just like "The Black Page" except even more complex. There were these runs of like 17 over 3 and every drumhead is notated differently. And there were a whole bunch of people there, I think Bozzio was there."
    "Vinnie had this piece of music on the stand to his right. To his left he had another music stand with a plate of sushi on it, okay? Now the tempo of the piece was very slow, like "The Black Page." And then the first riff came in, [mimics bizarre Zappa-esque drum rhythm patterns] with all these choking of cymbals, and hi-hat, ruffs, spinning of rototoms and all this crazy stuff. And I saw Vinnie reading this thing. Now, Vinnie has this habit of pushing his glasses up with the middle finger of his right hand. Well I saw him look at this one bar of music, it was the last bar of music on the page. He started to play it as he was turning the page with one hand, and then once the page was turned he continued playing the riff with his right hand, as he reached over with his left hand, grabbed a piece of sushi and put it in his mouth, continued the riff with his left hand and feet, pushed his glasses up, and then played the remaining part of the bar."
    "It was the sickest thing I have ever seen. Frank threw his music up in the air. Bozzio turned around and walked away. I just started laughing."

http://www.vinniecolaiuta.com/articles/drummagazine03.aspx

• der mann ist genial ... ich liebe auch den zappa-auftritt im zirkus krone (1978?), wo er (auf einem denkwürdig aufgebauten set) die abgedrehtesten sachen spielt.

eiert's hier anfangs, trotz aller verschiebung?
    [video]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklärst du dich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/video]
    i'm tweaked, too.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von macmarkus ()

• Karizma ist ganz gefährlich ;)

Ich finds unfassbar wie er hier am Anfang ohne den Einsatz der Bassdrum losgroovt....

[video]

Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklärst du dich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/video]

• Über den bin ich gerade eben mal wieder gestolpert.
    Die VHS davon hab ich auch noch im Regal stehen - those were the days... :D

[video]

[/video]
    Damals alles schön rausgehört und nachgetrommelt - das war Arbeit!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von drumdidi ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!