Beiträge von backlinedruid

Dear Drummers,

After many years of having to do this for a living i recomend you do the following .I will asume we all know how to "seat" a head and check bearing edges for damage and how to check the shells are round & level.

1. all skins off top and bottom

2. all toms off hardware and stands .

3. on a carpeted surface or on a table covered with a curtain - VIP not a "glatt" surface.

4. mount bottom heads - finger tight - use clockwise top bottom rotation.

5. now tune so that the notes cascade as you require - DW users this is where the note/pitch of the drum should be set. - standard concert tuning can be found on the net - otherwise use your ears .

6. now turn the toms over and place the batter heads .

7. now you need to decide if the note must "fall" "rise" or "sustain" - now tune accordingly.

notes: Aquarian heads work best - will only need 1 or 2 turns of the drum key - Remo's need to have the "crinkles" taken out from the ring & will need to be stretched. Evans I cant say anything about other than they never work for me.. sorry.

If a tom does not sound right - rings on or has strange overtones.. resist the temptation to start turning the key .. go back and check the even tension on the bottom head first.

A drum dial will help you once you have the tuning right to record the settings.

Moongell I usualy have to use on the snare , not usualy more than a 1/4 of a piece on a tom .. or something is not right.

Tom suspension mounts / Rims and so , check seating of rubbers around tension rods.

Have not met a drum rack system yet that DOES NOT cause tuning problems.

Console mounts are great .

My favourite kit - Slingerland -

My favourite workhorse - DW -

So now i'm certain I'll get shot by 1000's of other drummers .. but thats how I do it ..

Simon

We never have problems with zoll ... my shop is in Switzerland we provide pro support for drummers .. and backline ... They just need to send the items at 0%Mwst as its export .. you pay the 19% German tax .. easy .. or .. they send with USA tax , You go to local friezolllager and show invoice , they give you the difference / you pay the rest...

Simon

Dear Drummerforum , we are a backline service located near St Gallen on the Bodensee. We offer a wide range of custom parts , lugs , strainers , hoops , snares , VSS shells , cadillac bags , hardware .

Custom builds , bearing edges , re cuts & printed heads , drum coverings , wood dyes and builders tools.

General builders advice , workshops and tooling.

We are a DW endorser centre .

Slingerland restoration , Ludwig , Gretsch -Paiste cymbals -

Mail . drumforge@backliner.ch or call Simon on +41 76 296 5300

Take both heads off.

lightly hit the "kessel" what do you hear ?

If you can still hear the ring then there maybe a fine defect or crack in it.

if it is a metal snare , check all the nuts and bolts are tight .

start with the bottom head and get an even pitch , does it still ring ?

tune the top head "schlagfelle" evenly - this is very important.

Now take the bottom head and lower the pitch of the 4 tuning pegs left/right of the snare "teppich"

now place on the stand and see if this helps , yes you may still have a slight ovetone , use a little moongel and place it at 2 o´clock "14hr"

Remember this overtone is what gives life to the snare , removing this too much in our experience produces a dead pillow like sound.

Good luck

The Druid

Almost ... sorry I forgot one thing.

The height of the mics should also be the same for all 3 positions - so you will have to raise the mic over the floor tom and lower the mics over the Tom/snare.

Our experience is not to worry that the mics may be then lower than the cymbals.

We also place 2 mics behind the drummer looking DOWN to the cymbals .

Also try using an SM57 under the ride cymbal.

We also found that if the bass drum hole is bigger than 7" then the fron skin becomes un-effective .

Drum tuning remember the bottom heads are more important than the top heads , get the floor tom as low as you can and work up from there.

have fun

the Druid

The trick is an equi distance .

Mic one to right of the kit kinda level with the drummers shoulder looking over the floor tom towards the snare , this distance from this mic to the 2nd mic ( makes a triangle with equal sides ) 3rd mic also this distance to mic 2 and the centre of the snare .

So you have mic 2 as a centre and mics 1 & 3 as left and right , these distances can be adjusted to get better results as long they allways remain equal , our expierience is with just one more mic for the kick you will have the full character of the kit and enough punch.

And guys theres no witchcraft in Druidry.....it´s all bout being an expert .... and knowledge ..... ;)

yes... spend more money if you can , look at the senheisser range or even Neumann.... if you are working on a tight budget then I would go for SAMSON , we have had fantastic results with these mics .....

Do not forget the better the mic the better the recording BUT you still have to know what you are doing with EQ..

My tip is get the tuning of your kit right first , do not use ANY eq on the recording , use EQ only in the mixing stage.

The secret of all those great drum recordings is the Glyn Johns 3 mic for overheads trick.....

>Good luck

Xian , Bobby is not the only backline company in this world and things change , He has had a monoply for way way too long & we made our deal over a year ago , if you go to the DW website you will find our company too.

We have provided DW drums for Pink Floyd and David Gilmour just to name a few....

We are not the same as swiss cheese , we have a different attitude , we are young dymnamic & very motivated

http://www.dwdrums.com/faq/backlineIntl.htm

If you go here and look at the switzerland entry you will find us top of the list.

Yes of course you can get a kit from us

Simon

Hi Folks,

Maybe you didn´t know but backliner.ch is the pro one stop shop for all things drums , we are DW endorsee centre but you don´t have to be a pro player to get a great service .

We are near St Gallen just over the swiss border and we provide backlines for many well known bands on tour in Europe and also many concerts , clubs nd venues from Munich to Vienna.

As a pro drum tech myself with many years of experience I can offer you probly the best advice on purchase , tuning technique or restoration this side of the Rhine.....

Wnat to know more , you can email me simonperks@backliner.ch or yes give me a call +41 79 595 7504

Simon