Few questions about drumming in Germany / Austria

• Hello!
    Sorry that I'm writing in English, I'm currently learning German, but it will be quite funny to use it so hope you won't mind. I'm currently in middle school (studying in EU) and for my future I consider moving to Germany or Austria. I'll probably graduate from Music University in Jazz studies (Bachelor) in few years so I would like to ask what possibilities can I found within these countries? There are something called "kinderkunstschule" in country where I live. Is it something similar there? Could I teach there? Of course I'm going to finish some sort of language exam - so at least of level B2 or C1 in future, so language shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking of continuing then in Master program. If you want know the reason why I'm going for such a solution like this: I have huge respect for your country's history of art and of course the living standarts are on much better level than in country where I live. Would be very glad if you recommend me something or say at least some tips.
    Thanks in front! :)

• Errrm.... do I understand this correctly? You are right now studying music (BA) and tend to do a Master in Germany or Austria and you want to teach at the same time music to minors, right? There are several possibiliteis to teach people music in Germany. We have e.g. the so-called Volkshochschule (VHS), where everyone can take courses and where many music teachers/musicians give music courses for beginners and intermediates. Then there are special music-institutes, some are private, some public, where you can try to get a job (full-time, part time, ...). And then there is always the possibility to teach music as a private teacher (That's what many drummers do when not touring or recording music in studios). Some drummers are also hired as additional music teachers by public schools (e.g. for special projects). I recommend to check the city that you are interested to live in for the options that are available there. Lots of information can be found on the web, otherwise you can always ask the "Arbeitsagentur" for advice.

Hope this helps.

"You don't have to show off" - Peter Erskine

• Errrm.... do I understand this correctly? You are right now studying music (BA) and tend to do a Master in Germany or Austria and you want to teach at the same time music to minors, right? There are several possibiliteis to teach people music in Germany. We have e.g. the so-called Volkshochschule (VHS), where everyone can take courses and where many music teachers/musicians give music courses for beginners and intermediates. Then there are special music-institutes, some are private, some public, where you can try to get a job (full-time, part time, ...). And then there is always the possibility to teach music as a private teacher (That's what many drummers do when not touring or recording music in studios). Some drummers are also hired as additional music teachers by public schools (e.g. for special projects). I recommend to check the city that you are interested to live in for the options that are available there. Lots of information can be found on the web, otherwise you can always ask the "Arbeitsagentur" for advice.

Hope this helps.

Well, I'm off to start Bachelor next year. More possible solution for me is Austria, due to not being far away for me. I expect it is quite similar with education systems etc. to the German one? Just one last question, if it is even possible then to work as teacher in German-speaking countries if I have e.g. required education but I'm not native - just EU state's member? Thanks a lot for answering, I appreciate it a lot!!!

• Well, as far as I know, every citizen of another state of the EU has the right to work in Germany except for citizens of Croatia (people from Croatia need a working permission for some stupid reason). But I'm no expert. You could check the website of the german departement of foreign affairs called "Auswärtiges Amt". On this site you can find some information about working in Germany as a foreign citizen to get an idea of what is possible/necessary.

Alternatively or for more information you could maybe contact the german embassy/diplomatic mission in your country and ask them; addresses can be found on this website. They should at least point you in the right direction.

However, best of luck for your studies :).

Cheers and have fun
    Tom

Drummer do it on a skin...

• I am renewing the topic to simple ask the question listed before. How does it look regarding teaching options for music schools graduates? What possibilities does people who finish the university / academy have? Besides playing gigs or having job in classical music / theatre sphere of course.
    Thanks for any details.

• If you want to teach at public music schools your study should include some kind of pedagogic course. To my knowledge this is a requirement in most cases. Here in austria this course is called IGP (Instrumental- und Gesangspädagogik) and is offered at conservatoriums along with the musical study.
    I guess there are public music schools in most cities (even in smaller ones). Besides this for shure anyone can offer drum lessons on a freelance basis.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!