Zitate Sammlung bekannter Schlagzeugerinnen und Schlagzeuger

• "You know, Louie, I have to say this, because you are in many ways the cause of an awful lot of drummers spending an awful lot of money to no avail."

Oscar Peterson zu Louie Bellson in einer TV-Show (Bellson hatte sein - für damalige Verhältnisse - riesiges Doppelbassdrum-Set inkl. Rototoms mit in die Show gebracht)

"You don't have to show off" - Peter Erskine

• "Jazz guys play a lot of notes, and pop music is often simpler. When I got to New York after being in the Army and graduating from school, I got a chance to hear a lot of other younger drummers. They were playing more groove-oriented music. That challenged me [as a jazz-drummer] and gave me a new awareness. I remember hearing Rick Marotta, who's a very deep-pocket player. I realized that what sounded very open and simple and un-technical was actually very challenging to play, because it was about putting every note where it felt good. It was an eye-opener."

“I’m always aware of dynamics and space. It’s not fun for me to start out at level-10 and stay there. It affects my endurance. It affects the creativity. Without dynamics, you give up the element of surprise. Starting simply gives you someplace to go—you can explode, then get soft again. Using space can make the notes that you play more interesting.”

Steve Gadd

• "The thing I see a lot, expecially with the onslaught of social media coming at everyone, is that there is this kind of race to outdo everybody. There's a race to outdo the guy next to you and 'This guy can do this, oh, I have to do that, plus something else'. And that's a very unmusical way to go about doing anything behind any instrument. Now, that's going on everywhere, but the drums, as usual, are magnified. We play a very physical, violent almost instrument sometimes and it's very easy to get into that gladiator-esque mindset. For me, that doesn't do anything for me musically."

Tommy Igoe

• "Just because something is simple, it doesn't make it dumb."

Ash Soan

"Don't listen to yourself, listen to others [vocals, guitar, piano,...] when playing the drums."

Karl Brazil

• Honestly, I think the more gear you have, the less creative you’ll be.
    (Alex Van Halen, 2008)

Und das von einem, der früher u.a. 4 Bass Drums gespielt hat...

DON`T PLAY THE DRUMS - PLAY THE BAND!

• Da passt dsa hier auch dazu.

"The idea of limitation is extremely helpful. Because Limitations always bring challenges. If we don't have everything at our disposal, we have to deal with something very very simple and that's when we really become creative."

Jojo Mayer

und nun was anderes:

"If there was no Black Sabbath, I could still possibly be a morning newspaper delivery boy. No fun."

"One of my few shortcomings is that I can't predict the future." :whistling:

Lars Ulrich

• "Technique is just a matter of expressing what’s in your mind."

"As much as I respect what they’re doing [drum-battles between Rich and Roach, Krupa, Bellson...], just to listen to it… It makes drums out to be a contest. It lacks musicality. Too much of that stuff. I mean, it’s nice to have two drummers that can play together. Y’know, you express yourself, but then it gets to be The Circus."

Joe Morello

• Nick Menza, damals noch Drumtech bei Megadeth auf dem "Monsters of Rock" am 27.8.1988 in Schweinfurt auf den Mainwiesen, als ich mich endlich nach heftigem Streit mit meinem Vater in Nicks Armen beruhigt hatte und nach einem längeren Gespräch in DEUTSCH (Ja, Nick Menza konnte sehr gut Deutsch) wieder zurück zu meinem Vater mußte:
    "Lebe Deinen Traum! Du bist stärker, als Du denkst!"

• "When I started playing professionally, I always liked to play with dynamics, and not do the world’s fastest thing. I was always into playing more melodically."

"There are several different stages in one’s development. The beginner should stick to the rules. You can’t break the rules unless you know them. Once you know the rules, you can alter them to suit your personality."

Joe Morello

• "If you think you stink, you probably do."

Buddy Rich

"You need to take risks, you never know if the end results will be beautiful or strange, you need to be instantaneous, listening to every moment, without missing a scrap of the music, even if you play a rest."

Brian Blade

"I found that to really make money, you had to give up music. So I gave up money."

Mel Lewis

"You’re confidence is what keeps people calling you to work."

Jimmy Cobb

• "The ride beat is the easiest and the most difficult thing a drummer will ever play".

Shelly Manne

"Playing a simple ride beat is easy for a drummer to play, but playing that same simple ride beat and having it swing and feel like, say… Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Joe Morello, Peter Erskine, Steve Gadd, Jeff Hamilton, Jeff Porcaro or Charlie Watts, is a completely different thing."

John DeChristopher

"While it is not an easy task to determine which component of the modern drum set could be more important than another, most would agree that ride cymbal is most likely in the top list."

Sergio Bellotti

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!