My Custom Cymbals

• Hi alle zusammen!
    Ich bin neu hier und melde mich zu Wort, weil mir das (ehemalige) K Constantinople gehört. Johan hat aus einem wirklich bescheiden klingenden Teil (vor allem für den Preis- habs allerdings nicht gekauft sondern über Internet/soundfile getauscht) ein fantastisches Jazz Becken emacht. Das was er weiter vorne schreibt kann ich nur bestätigen, das Becken klingt in echt noch um ein ganzes Hauseck besser als auf dem Soundfile. Ich bin total happy mit dem Ding und überlege ernsthaft, mir auch noch ein Becken für die linke Seite "massfertigen" zu lassen. Muss nur noch eine Ausrede finden, da ich schon über 10 Rides habe ;)
    Aber nachdem er mir gesagt hat, dass ihm das Ausgangsmaterial/becken egal ist könnte ich es ja mit einem billigeren "Rohstoff" probieren.
    Falls er mit seiner Behauptung Recht hat habe ich aber doch wohl einen Fehler gemacht- ich hätte das Con verkaufen sollen und mir dafür einen ganzen Satz aus Wuhan "Rohlingen" finanzieren sollen :D
    Aber wie heißt es so schön: je ne regrette rien!
    Auf jeden Fall zur Nachahmung empfohlen!

• Thanks guys ! I'm very happy you like the cymbals I customized for you. It's nice getting to know some German and Austrian drummers this way !

Learned a few German "cymbal-word" also. Like... "geile teilen" :D

I finished hammering quite a few new cymbals recently. You can hear them on my site. (...Yes they are all for sale8) )

There will be more in the near future so check the site regularly.

• I finished hammering a bunch of cymbals again. Pics and soundfiles on my webspace !

20' Light Complex Low Jazz ride (from Zildjian Avedis)
    20' Light Complex High Jazz ride (from Sabian AAX)
    20' Deep Trashy Ride (from Zildjian Avedis)
    20' Deep Trashy Flatride (from Zildjian Avedis) 2 rivetholes
    18' Complex Crashride (from Paiste 2002)
    17' Light Dark Dry Crashride (from Ufip)
    17' Dark Crash (from Zildjian Z Custom)
    11' Dark Splash (from Zildjian A Custom)

Please drumcymb@yahoo.com for prices.

A "before and after soundfile" of the "20' Light Complex High Jazz ride" (which was originally a Sabian 20" AAX Metal Crash !) can be found in this map.
    It now looks like this:

• hi!
    it's really amazing what you can make out of cymbals, even cheap ones sound pretty interesting! can you give some first-try-advice and tell us what aspects should be considered to customize a cymbal instead of destroiing it?

DIR verkauf' ich nichts!

• Zitat

Original von Paralyzed
    hi!
    it's really amazing what you can make out of cymbals, even cheap ones sound pretty interesting! can you give some first-try-advice and tell us what aspects should be considered to customize a cymbal instead of destroiing it?

Ich denke du stellst dir das zu leicht vor. Das ist ein Handwerk und geht wohl sehr nach Gefühl und Erfahrungswert. Die Übung macht's, dass die Becken anständig werden und nicht zerdeppern, würd ich mal sagen. Demnach ist das mehr angeübt und nicht mit einer "Bastelanleitung" zu erklären.
    Außerdem, welcher Meister verrät die Vorgehensweise seines Handwerks? ;)

@Johan: Nice work! Especially the cheap cymbals rehammered and made to good one sound really cool! ;)

Are you "just" cymbalsmith or are you also playing the drums? In second case, what is your cymbal-setup? (I guess everything selfhammered and fitted together)

• ich will nicht, dass er sein handwerk verrät, zumal das sowieso eher etwas ist, das man erlernen muss. ich erhoffe mir nur ein paar tips, wie man evtl. anfangen kann, was man auf keinen fall machen darf, ... einfach ein paar grundlegende sachen. das eigentliche können muss man sich klar selbst aneignen...

DIR verkauf' ich nichts!

• Ich sehe das genauso wie paralyZed. Becken hämmern fasziniert mich einfach.
    Wer möchte da nicht mal eines seiner alten 3. Wahl Becken bearbeiten?

Wie soll man jedoch anfangen, ohne jeglichen Einstieg?
    Ein paar Grundtechniken wären da sehr sehr interessant.

Meine Beiträge sind maschinell erstellt und ohne Unterschrift gültig.
    mein Set

Elu on nagu hernes.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von buddler ()

• To Ynnus: Yes I am a drummer, I play everything from acoustic jazz to metal. So my cymbal setup will vary in function of the music I will be playing. But of course I use my self-hammered cymbals. Being a drummer looking for a specific sound (and not finding it) is why I once started hammering cymbals (and building snaredrums).

Zitat

Original von buddler
    Wer möchte da nicht mal eines seiner alten 3. Wahl Becken bearbeiten?

Well you are on the right track already when you start with "alten 3. Wahl Becken" ! An important thing you have to find out is how cymbal tension and shape change when you hammer here or there. There's no other way to learn it than by trial and error. I learned it like this myself. A few important rules:

• The cymbal must always be in contact with the anvil at the point of impact.
    • You have to look and listen what happens constantly. So don't hammer the whole cymbal at once but hammer one circular row and then check what happens.
    • Don't start with B20 cymbals, use sheet metal cymbals to begin with, like brass, nickelsilver or B8. Sheet metal is softer and errors will not immediately cause disaster, they can be corrected more easily.

Like Ynnus said it really is a matter of getting the feel for it, which will only happen after much experience. I'm afraid it's just impossible to convert these years of experience into text. Especially because each cymbal is so different and requires a different approach. After all these years of hammering, when someone gives me a cymbal, I don't need to play it to know how it will sound. Just taking hold of the cymbal, running my fingers across the surface, feeling the tension tells me how it is going to sound and what kind of hammering is required to change it this or that way.

• Thanks for the nice answer Johan VDS!

But I still have one question...
    How do your anvil(s) and hammers look like?

I think it must be some kind of round or even ball-like anvil.

Can you post a pic?

Sorry for exploiting your smith-knowledge :D, but I think I will not be a competitor of yours... in the near future;)

Meine Beiträge sind maschinell erstellt und ohne Unterschrift gültig.
    mein Set

Elu on nagu hernes.

• I don't have pics but my anvil looks very much like this one at Sabian:
    http://www.dunnett.com/sabian/sabianimages/12.jpg
    So the surface of the anvil is a bit curved but not round. I have different hammers, from flatly curved to round. Now go for it and mail me a pic of your first hammered cymbal!:)

• Hi Johan,
    I am a beginner in playing drums and I made some stupid mistakes when I bought cymbals at Ebay.
    For example, I bought a pair of 15" zildjian avedis hi hats offered as about 20 - 25 years old. But my drumteacher told me that this hi hats are older and are made for playing Jazz like bigband sound and are terrible bad for rock mucic. So this cymbals dont fit to my others: A 21" Paste Symphonic single cymbal played as a ride, with a pretty good sound.
    I am also waiting for an Zildjian dry ride and I fear that my cymbals will have a quite different Character.
    My question is, if it is possible for you to make this set of different cymbals fit in sound together?

Thank you for an answer
    Jürgen

• ich bitte dich syllicon, lass die 15"er hats wie sie sind, sind einigermaßen selten und du bekommst sicher noch ein gutes stück geld dafür ...
    verkauf sie über ebay oder hier im forum, lässt sich auch sicherlich wer finden und kauf dir andere becken die rocktauglich sind ...

aber es wäre schon schade solche becken zu hämmern, der wiederverkaufswert sinkt damit

mfg
    rad.

• Radical hat recht.

Johans Arbeit in allen Ehren (ich hatte sie schon), aber bitte, s.punch, lass die Teile so. Hätte ich Geld, ich hätte dir die HiHat glatt abgekauft.

Gruß
    Rockstar

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!